The best pairs in life are unexpected. Mac ‘n cheese on pizza. Tequila in beer. Justin Timberlake and The Lonely Island. The best of them all is the perfect trifecta: peanut butter, pretzels and brownies.
It was Erica’s birthday and bar was set high. I didn’t want to do something like the expected cupcakes or cake…but what’s better than cupcakes? I think I found it.
Peanut Butter Fudge Pretzel Brownies
Recipe from How Sweet Eats
- 1 3/4 cups crushed pretzels
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2/3 cups chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Mix together melted butter and pretzel crumbs – you’ll want to create the crumbs with a food processor or by crushing them with a mallet.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a square 8×8 baking pan and press pretzel crust into the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter with an electric mixer until slightly fluffy. Slowly add eggs and then vanilla.
- Keeping the mixer on medium, add in cocoa, flour and salt. Mix for a few minutes until just combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips by hand in you’re using them. Then spread it evenly into your pan.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes. When you have just a couple minutes left, melt the peanut butter.
- Stir in your powdered sugar and mix until there are no lumps.
- Remove brownies from the oven. Pour the peanut butter mixture over the top.
- Allow them to cool and then refrigerate for a few hours before cutting and serving.